Monday, July 27, 2009

The Epitome of Happiness


We were coming back from our last clinic of the week and I was excited to find there was an open spot in the uncovered boat (it didn't have a roof like the other one and therefore, everyone wanted to be in that boat). So tired, hungry, and smiling, I climbed into the uncovered boat. It was a beautiful day; blue sky, fluffy white clouds, perfect.

We waved goodbye to the villagers and followed the other boat out onto the Amazon. Soon, the other boat was out of sight as it was much faster than the one I was on. Yet, I didn't care because I was enjoying the beauty of this marvelous scenery. All the sudden I saw dark rain clouds appear out of nowhere. Just a minute ago the sky had been a sea of blue and white. As I thought this, it started to rain. I grabbed my backpack and held it over my head in an effort to stay dry. As it started to rain harder the two guys sitting next to me decided to stack our backpacks in a way that made a fort around us. We ducked down in a futile attempt to stay dry. As we huddled together, we caught each others' eye and suddenly burst out laughing, as we realized we were already so wet that the rain could not possibly do any more damage. We took down our stronghold and let the wind and rain do what it may. As we pulled up to our destination, I realized I had to capture this moment of pure bliss. I got out my camera and asked a young man if he could take the picture for me. Standing there shivering next to people who had become some of my best friends, I thought, "This is the epitome of happiness".


Lynnea

No comments:

Post a Comment